It is estimated that over 30,000 people are killed each year due to a car wreck and vehicle crashes. It is always best to take action to prevent a car accident if at all possible. There are some things that may help avoid accidents including:
- Maintain you vehicle and doing the recommended maintenance.
- Checking tires for wear and tear by a professional.
- Moving your vehicle to the side of the road or out of the way of traffic in the event of a vehicle stall or an emergency.
- Practice defensive driving.
Despite your best efforts to avoid an accident, you may end up involved in a car wreck due to the fault of another driver.
What to do at the scene of an accident
If you have an accident, there are several things that you can do at the scene for your safety and the safety of others on the road.
- If possible, move the vehicles to the side of the road or a neighboring parking lot. Do not to leave the scene and do not leave your vehicle in the path of oncoming traffic.
- Check to see if anyone is hurt and call 911 if anyone is in need of medical assistance.
- Contact the police and describe the wreck. Depending on how bad the accident is, an officer may come to the scene or may instruct you to file a report.
- If your car isn’t drivable, you can request roadside assistance or call a private tow company.
Photograph the scene and exchange information
Use your phone to take photos and video of the accident scene. If you are unable to do so, ask a passenger or witness to photograph the location and the damage to the vehicles. Exchange the following information:
- Names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses of drivers, passengers, and witnesses
- Insurance company name, policy number and phone number
- If the police respond to the accident, get the police report number, officer name and badge number.
If you have been injured, be sure to get the medical care that you need. Keep a diary or journal of your injuries and doctor visits. Also, report the accident to your insurance company and that of the other driver as soon as possible after the accident.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car wreck, contact The Nigam Law Firm. Anjali Nigam has the experience and dedication to help get you back on your feet.